Wednesday 2 March 2011

Altering your skin denying your heritage?




Jamaican dancehall star Vybz Kartel has been recently scrutinised under the media spotlight for lightning his skin through the use of bleaching creams. He claims that he lightens his skin to ensure that his many visible tattoos stand out more. However, many of his fans have been outraged and keen to voice their opinions as the majority of them are against this act of his.


Now I am all for changing the way you look in terms of changing your hair colour, your dress style etc, but altering the colour of your skin is definitely a huge drastic change! I can definitely see why so many people across the world are upset and angry as Kartel serves as a big role model amongst the Jamaican community. It can be seen that his attempts to whiten his skin sends out the message that lighter is better. For many centuries, white has been seen as the symbol of prosperity and superiority. More and more celebrities are endorsing this trend which echoes the belief that they too believe this is true. For example, Beyonce has been photographed lately with a lighter complexion and Barbie blonde locks. Undoubtedly she is a role model for many youngsters from all sorts of backgrounds; I grew up listening to Destiny’s Child and admired all three of the young singers. Therefore it can be seen that she is sending out the wrong message to young minds everywhere.





Kartel has fought back saying that his lighter skin is no different to white people using fake tan. However look where that has led the world; millions of men and women across the world have become so fixated upon having “sun-kissed golden” skin that they resort to using all sorts of different methods. As a young teenager myself I have seen how before every single night out, all of my girlfriends must first dress them selves in instant fake tan. Whilst this is just a temporary change, Vybz Kartel is that of a permanent change and I personally I believe it is an utter shame when anyone feels like the need to change the colour of their skin that they live in.


Recent studies have also shown how many bleaching creams contain high levels of mercury which can potentially cause kidney damage! It is astonishing to see the lengths that many people are willing to go to when attempting to alter the way they look. I understand that from time to time people wish to change the way they look. I have previously had light brown/blondish hair and now have red hair. I’ve also worn green contact lenses on many nights out but its not a look I have become fixated with. I am very proud of my golden Indian skin and dark brown eyes as I believe all these features unveil part of my character and who I am.


The fact that Kartel has compared his actions to the same as women wearing wigs, dying their hair, wearing fake nails etc is just ridiculous in my belief, and actually highlights the fact that perhaps this is all about him being troubled about his image. At the end of the day its his body, his skin and his choice to do whatever he wishes with it, even if it does provoke a lot of controversy.

No comments:

Post a Comment